- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Bob Silver has more than 30 years experience in representing generic pharmaceutical companies in developing generic products, particularly in complex suits involving paragraph IV challenges under the Hatch-Waxman Act regarding Abbreviated New Drug Applications. In his prior firm, Bob was Chairperson of the Litigation and ANDA Litigation divisions. Bob assists clients in all aspects of the pharmaceutical supply chain, from API manufacturers, to distributors to manufacturers, in designing and patenting products and developing strategies to bring generic products and new products to the marketplace. Bob’s expertise involves other aspects of the chemical industry such as complex manufacturing procedures and other chemical products. Bob’s practice also includes counseling clients regarding patent strategies and developing and protecting intellectual property rights, including identifying and creating design-around opportunities and counseling on patent scope and validity issues, in addition to preparing for the upcoming phases of litigation. Bob also assists clients in clearing, obtaining and defending trademarks worldwide.
Bob’s practice is nationwide and represents clients from all over the world. Bob was successful in hundreds of settlements, trials and appeals. Representative cases include Roxane Labs Inc. v. Invagen Inc., where Bob successfully represented a defendant generic company facing a demand of $100 million in damages by defeating a preliminary injunction, (affirmed on appeal). After a finding of non-infringement, upheld on appeal, he obtained a $2 million fee award against Roxane for an “exceptional” case regarding calcium acetate tablets (PhosLo® brand); Boehringer et al. v. InvaGen (10/25/18 D.NJ) represented a generic in an ANDA litigation successfully invalidating asserted patents covering Tradjenta® (linagliptin) and Jentadueto® (linagliption and metformin); Genzyme v. Pentech Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Bob represented a generic in ANDA litigation on Hectorol® invalidating 2 Orange Book listed patents, with the third patent being delisted as a result of suit; Bob assisted one client in launching the most financially successful at risk launches regarding a generic version of the drug Plavix.
Bob graduated from the Boston College Department of Chemistry with his BS/MS and obtained his law degree from Villanova University. Bob is also admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and assists clients in obtaining patents in the chemical, medical device and mechanical arts.
Awards & Recognition
- Who’s Who Legal: Patents 2018-2019
- Best Lawyers in America, 2018-2021
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2004-2020
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Chambers USA Top Ranked in Intellectual Property, 2010-2016
- Senior Fellow Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- IAM Patent 1000 Ranked Attorney, 2014-2020
- Top Attorneys in Pennsylvania Philadelphia Magazine 2018-2019
- Best Lawyers in Pennsylvania 2019 Wall Street Journal
- 2019 Global Law Experts IP Litigation Law Expert
- The Actors Fund 2018 Encore Award for Performing Arts commitment
- Trial Law Institute and Diversity Law Institute Member
- IP Litigation Law Firm of the Year in Pennsylvania – 2020 Corporate International Magazine Global Award
- The American Lawyer-Lawyer of Distinction 2020
- National Law Journal Lawyers of Distinction 2020